Tuesday 19 March 2019

ENGLISH TENSES (9)

FUTURE SIMPLE

The FUTURE SIMPLE TENSE is formed using “will” with the base form (root) of a verb
 (e.g. I will work).

 The future simple tense is used:


 (1) to express certainty about a future event, e.g. “I will be 70 this year, so I come from an age before plastic.”


 (2) to communicate a decision made at the time of speaking, e.g. “I’ll have the chicken curry” (I'll = I will)


 (3) to predict something, e.g. “Talking about the technology behind the project, Drax chief executive Andy Koss said: ‘I think it will make a huge difference to the business and for our employees. I think it will give us a longer future.’”

FUTURE SIMPLE


 (4) to express determination, e.g. “To celebrate my 50th birthday I will complete a run across Europe, from the Netherlands to Estonia.”


 (5) to make a promise or threat, e.g. “I am on annual leave until dd/mm/yyyy. I will allow each sender one email and if you send me multiple emails, I will randomly delete your emails until there is only one remaining.”


Photo credit: Ian Britton


No comments:

Post a Comment